History of School

There is a long history of schooling in Eden dating from the early 1800’s.  Research has indicated that education in Eden has been ongoing from around 1806, making the school over 200 years old.  

In 1836, an infant school was built under the patronage of the Church of Ireland Clergy in Carrickfergus.  The rectangular school house was located beside the former Tourist Inn and was only demolished a few years ago.  In the years following 1860, Eden School transferred from Church control to State Control, becoming Eden National School in the process.

In 1929, the school re-located across the road to a new building, which opened on the 6th December 1929 as Eden Public Elementary School.  The building had four classrooms, with each class having over 50 children!

On the 17 September 1957, W.J.F Donald, Chairman of the County Antrim Education Committee officially opened the Eden Primary School extension.  This provided classroom accommodation for approximately 300 children.  Further building work in 2004, added a modern multi purpose room and a learning centre comprising library and computer facilities.